3DEM Software for Terrain Visualization and Flyby Animation
The original web site of 3DEM was closed at end of May 2009
This page shows only partial information about 3DEM
available by the author Richard Horne
|3DEM for Win95/98/ME/2000/XP and Windows
Vista will produce three dimensional terrain scenes and flyby animations
from a wide variety of freely available data sources including:
Terrain data files can be saved in the following formats for use by other GIS programs
3DEM can merge multiple DEMs to provide high-resolution overhead maps and 3D projections of large surface areas, limited only by the computer's memory. Geographic coordinates (latitude and longitude) are shown on all overhead map displays. Both Lat-Lon and UTM coordinates are supported, allowing display and measurement of position to high accuracy. Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver waypoints, routes, and tracks can be read via serial interface and displayed on 3D images and flybys of the terrain, allowing visualization of the path of a trek through the wilderness.
3DEM uses the SGI/Microsoft OpenGL libraries for high speed 3D rendering. 3DEM will render 24 bit color three dimensional projections or red-blue projections requiring red-blue 3D glasses for viewing. 3DEM scenes can be saved in the following formats.
3DEM allows low resolution flyby of DEM landscapes using OpenGL. The path through space is recorded in memory during flight, allowing subsequent creation of a full resolution mpeg animation along the flight path. Real-time flyby animations can be created in the following formats
3DEM provides an intuitive user interface, high
reliability, and detailed terrain images and flyby animations created from
freely available terrain data.
3DEM is a freeware program and can be downloaded at no cost. Click the button below to download the 3DEM setup program. Download size is 4.2 megabytes. Run 3dem_setup.exe to install 3DEM on your computer.
Digital Elevation Model and Overlay Links
- NASA Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (Entire World - Eventually)
- US Geological Survey Seamless Data Distribution System (United States)
- US Geological Survey SDTS 7.5 Minute Digital Elevation Models (United States)
- Canadian Council on Geomatics, GeoBase Digital Elevation Models (Canada)
- US Geological Survey 1 Km GTOPO30 Digital Elevation Models (Entire World)
- NOAA 1 Km GLOBE Digital Elevation Models (Entire World)
- University of Maryland, Landsat 7 ETM Satellite Imagery (Entire World - Eventually)
- Microsoft TerraServer USGS Aerial Imagery and Topographic Maps (United States)
- JDMCox Software USAPhotoMaps for use with Microsoft TerraServer (United States)
- California Spatial Info Library Digital Raster Graphic (DRG) topographic maps (California)
3DEM was created by Richard Horne