Model size Sketchup vs VSF

This sections is intended for the ever growing number of 3D Modellings applications that can or cannot be used for developing addons for VS.

Model size Sketchup vs VSF

Postby MadsHjemmen » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:13 am

Hello guys and girls!

I'm new to vehicle simulator, but i have already started using sketchup to design ships. When my model was complete i used xexporter-plugin (?) og export to .x file.

I was able to use the model in vsf, but my problem is the scale of sketchup vs vsf. The boat was gigantic. Not big, but huuuuge. What is wrong? Can someone describe step by step what i have to do to make the size realistic?

Best regards
Mads, Norway
MadsHjemmen

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Re: Model size Sketchup vs VSF

Postby varoun » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:35 pm

For exporting with sketchup, I uses 3d rad. But due to the increasing drawbacks of this method, im slowly moving to exporting with Deep exploration as 3D Radd tends to export models too heavy.

There are 3 ways.
1. You use the measurement tool to measure your model
2. You use the scale tool and you just simply drag it lower to your suiting or
3. the scale variable in the vehicle cfg file.

Using the First Method.If you want to set the measurements of your ships or any model in particular, select the tape measure tool or press the ''T'' key. The icon is literally a tape measure. The cursor changes to a tape measure when you click on it. Then you select 2 points; one the starting point and the other the end. Then Measure the distance between two points on your model.
As you move the mouse, a temporary measuring tape line [usually dotted], with arrows at each end, stretches out from your starting point.
Click at the other end of the line segment. The final distance appears in the Measurements box.

Type a new size for the line, which appears in the Measurements box, and press Enter. This size is the basis for a proportional rescale of your model.
Tip: You can use imperial or metric units. SketchUp understands both. Just be sure to specify your desired unit at the start [they usually tell you which metric to choose when starting a new project] if it's not your template's default unit of measurement.
When the following dialog box asks whether you want to resize your model, click the Yes button, and the model is rescaled proportionally.

Second method When you click on the scale tool, you click on any of the ''green marks'' and drag to your sizing. Preferable the corner ones as the length to width ratio will remained the same.

Third Method Open the vehicle cfg file for that model, and adjust the scale variable. In your case, consider reducing it until you find the desirable outcome.

For total accuracy, method 1 is the best. Method 3 is the easiest however.
Hope that helped.
Last edited by varoun on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
VAROUN

Lets save this forum and make it active as before!!
varoun

Postby MadsHjemmen » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:30 pm

Hey!

I made it! The model is 4 m long in sketchup, sooo this will be interesting when making more models :)

Thank you!
MadsHjemmen

Postby Sailorjohn » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:59 am

Most modeling programs use 'units' of measurement. If modeling for VSF, one unit = one meter. That should at least put you in the ballpark.
Sailorjohn

Postby MadsHjemmen » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:49 pm

Thank you!

One more Q as for now. What do i do with the nasty throttle. It's not possible to get smooth transition from forward to reverse without jumping back and forth?
MadsHjemmen

Postby Sailorjohn » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:06 am

Don't know how you're doing it now...keys, mouse, or joystick throttle as I do...but I suggest you come to zero throttle, Shift+E which reverses direction, then apply throttle as needed. Should be smooth transition.
Sailorjohn

Postby MadsHjemmen » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:49 pm

I use the keyboard. The main problem is the precentage scale on the throttle. Jumping from 55 to 50 (idle) and down to 45%. No smooth transition like with the condor express. Maybe i have to lower the HP a little bit.

Is it possible to change percentage scale on the throttle? :)
MadsHjemmen

Postby Sailorjohn » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:38 am

I think the throttle percentages are hard-wired. But if you want to make small adjustments, you can bring up Vehicles/Adjust tab, select your vehicle, and use throttle slider for analog changes. Or hook up a variable throttle device.
Sailorjohn

Postby MadsHjemmen » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:36 pm

I think i got it. Just changed min rpm to 1 and max to 10, then I madr it sort of work. Another question, what about textures? How to i easly paint my 3D model?
MadsHjemmen

Return to 3D Modelling Software