ULCC Knock Nevis (The Largest Ship In the World)

In here you can post about your exciting VSF vehicle projects.

Re: ULCC Knock Nevis (The Largest Ship In the World)

Postby PBHtankerman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:25 am

Hi Saken

Hope all is well.

The DAVITS are the 2 small cranes that hold the lifeboat. In an emergency they pitch forward and the lifeboat hangs directly over the side of the ship and can then lower the lifeboat directly into the sea. Straight down. So the whole kit has to be located at the edge of the ships superstructure (but still inboard). You don't need a detailed plan. Take a look at Auke Vissers free tanker site, goto ULCC's index and there is every available photo of the ship as SEAWISE GIANT, JAHRE VIKING etc etc. I think this site will help with accuracy in modelling and your understanding of the ship just by studying the photos. There is even pictures of the ship before she was lengthened (480,000 tdw) and her in half at the shipyard waiting for the new hull insert.

just curious, do you know why the ship has that raised deck port and starboard for much of the main decks length? The shipbuilder Sumitomo was very concerned that by lengthening (jumboizing as it was called then) the ship would become so long she might break in half in a big storm. Ships flex when the sail. Its called Hogging and Sagging (check Wikepedia). So they added this strange extra strengthening. It worked apparently!

Keep up the good work.
Peter
PBHtankerman

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby PBHtankerman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:44 am

The (Lifeboat) Boat Deck is too small and has to be extended to the extreme side of the ship so the DAVITS and lifeboat can be located in the corrected place. Sorry forgot that part.

Best peter
PBHtankerman

Postby saken » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi again Peter (PBHtankerman),

I hope all is well with you as well?

I am currently studying the photo's of the ship at aukevisser.nl. I knew that site existed, but haven't really looked at it that much. But I also got a paper model (unassembled) of her as well. I could most definitely take a look at that to get a very detailed look of the ship!

All the best!

Anton (saken/Captain saken) :)
Kind Regards,

saken

Proud Virtual Sailor user since 2005, and Vehicle Simulator user since 2008!
saken

Postby saken » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:44 am

Dear community,

Once again, I am reaching out for help. I finally found out why the "bow wave problem" showed up at last. It's most definitely the anchor chains. As when I export the ship in .x without the chains, it works just fine, but not with them.

Anybody have a clue what can be done here? They are in total 21,556 polygons/faces.
Kind Regards,

saken

saken

Solution found! Update November 12, 2017. BETA 1.6!

Postby saken » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:33 pm

Solved it! The Decimate modifier in Blender is actually really handy to reduce unnecessary geometry from a mesh. 8-)

And so, here she is, updated with chains for the anchors. I think I'm gonna call this beta 1.6 as for now.

Kind Regards,

saken

saken

Postby PBHtankerman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:51 am

Good job Captain.

Please send me a pm with the updated beta version. Thanks a mill.
Peter (PBHbtankerman)
PBHtankerman

Re: ULCC Knock Nevis (Longest ship ever)

Postby saken » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:27 pm

PBHtankerman wrote:Hi Saken
I am working on a Kharg Island (Arabian Gulf) scenery and Antifer (North Coast of France) both were capable deep draft ports to take this ship.

Wow! That sounds SUPER! :D Maybe we can release my ship and your scenery at around the same time? It'll probably take MUCH more time with scenery development than ship modeling though...
Last edited by saken on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind Regards,

saken

saken

Postby saken » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:01 am

PBHtankerman wrote:Hi Saken
just curious, do you know why the ship has that raised deck port and starboard for much of the main decks length? The shipbuilder Sumitomo was very concerned that by lengthening (jumboizing as it was called then) the ship would become so long she might break in half in a big storm. Ships flex when the sail. Its called Hogging and Sagging (check Wikepedia). So they added this strange extra strengthening. It worked apparently!

Hi again Peter!

Yes, I knew this. It seems it worked great, yes. :D
Kind Regards,

saken

saken

Previous

Return to VSF Vehicle WIPs