Converting submarines from VS to VSF

This is the forum of the Vehicle Simulator (VSF).
NoBody191

Converting submarines from VS to VSF

Post by NoBody191 »

Is it possible to do so? i want to learn how to convert Mike Hense's Albatross plane from the submarine type to the airplane type in VSF (If i just changed the vehicle_type on the cfg file the propellers won't show up in the game and it won't fly)

Sincerely
Random Kiddo who loves diving the internet

penyelam handal.
Pascal

Re: Converting submarines from VS to VSF

Post by Pascal »

Yes, I think it is possible, but as it is an old VS format not totally compatible with VSF, I am afraid you'll have more to do than just changing the type name.. I suggest to keep the "boat" type (to avoid most of problems) but with correct values in the vehicle.cfg : some are not correct.. and in a second step to generate with VSF an elements.cfg file which will allow to add some "flying elements" : the Albatross is in fact well known as beeing a "flying boat".. :)

Greetings
Pascal

Post by Pascal »

I answer to myself, as I tested my suggestion just to see the result and that works.. with all parts animated (even if propellers don't seem to rotate on the instant photo) :

And more, I found that it gives a very nice and realistic wake that we did not have on the amphibious planes : I told that to Ilan who said he will try to implement that.. :)

Greetings
NoBody191

Post by NoBody191 »

Check your PM Box ;)

penyelam handal.
Pascal

Post by Pascal »

Hello,

I read in your message that you are making some tests and I can help you : I answer here as I think it is an interesting excercise which may help some people, as it uses some interesting features in VSF.. for people who wants to make a test, the albatross can be downloaded on this page :

http://www.hangsim.com/virtual-sailor/b ... one=Others

As you said : " I tried to change few things with the cfg (including the vehicle type, I changed it to boat), and it eventually works, including the rudders and elevators... but now the problem is that the engine won't start (It actually starts, but in less than a seccond, it comes off again), I tried to restart it but It's hopeless, I checked the fuel and the fuel's full, what shall i need to do? Anyways here is comparison between the "boat" (Left, that one which bigger) and the "submarine" (Right) "

The first time you load the albatross, VSF generates a vehicle.cfg file instead of the old boat.cfg file.. here is my exact vehicle.cfg with some added and modified values :

boat [type]
0.2338 [scale_factor]

1.00 [has_engine]
2.00 [num_props]
7.92 [boat_length]
0.30 [boat_alt]
-0.15 [boat_cgy]
0.02 [body_cd]
12000.00 [mass]
2.00 [body_area]
2500.00 [fuel_time]
1400.00 [motor_hp]
100 [rpm_min]
1000 [rpm_max]

-0.84 [camera_x]
12.63 [camera_y]
18.70 [camera_z]

panel_104 [panel_name]
0.70 [panel_scale]
0.70 [panel_x]
11.20 [panel_y]
22.10 [panel_z]
-0.00 [panel_alfa]
0.00 [panel_beta]

1.5 [wave_scale]

1 [has_flaps]

Now you can delete the boat.cfg and rename the file boat.x as vehicle.x if you want.. I also removed the following lines :

0.00 [has_sails]
submarine [type]

Note the scale must be modified as the original one is in feet (left) in VS and as the one modified in meters by VSF (0.3048) is still a bit too big (right) , if you compare with the correct value : the wing span is 29m46 for the Albatross..

The problem for the engines not starting and stopping is because VSF thinks they are underwater and that the vehicle is still an airplane, I think. With the vehicle.cfg above, you must have a normal "boat" with wake.

Note also that the engine's sound doesn't work because it is in Stereo format and VSF needs a Mono format one : you must modify that with Audacity or delete the engine.wav sound (in this case, you'll have the default boat sound).

So now, you must have a "boat" with correct values in the vehicle.cfg in view to generate an elements.cfg file with VSF : Design/Vehicle tabs.. then Elements and Save "Elements".. in the next step, modifying this file will allow your boat to go airborn.

Greetings
NoBody191

Post by NoBody191 »

Pascal wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:16 am Hello,

I read in your message that you are making some tests and I can help you : I answer here as I think it is an interesting excercise which may help some people, as it uses some interesting features in VSF.. for people who wants to make a test, the albatross can be downloaded on this page :

http://www.hangsim.com/virtual-sailor/b ... one=Others

As you said : " I tried to change few things with the cfg (including the vehicle type, I changed it to boat), and it eventually works, including the rudders and elevators... but now the problem is that the engine won't start (It actually starts, but in less than a seccond, it comes off again), I tried to restart it but It's hopeless, I checked the fuel and the fuel's full, what shall i need to do? Anyways here is comparison between the "boat" (Left, that one which bigger) and the "submarine" (Right) "

The first time you load the albatross, VSF generates a vehicle.cfg file instead of the old boat.cfg file.. here is my exact vehicle.cfg with some added and modified values :

boat [type]
0.2338 [scale_factor]

1.00 [has_engine]
2.00 [num_props]
7.92 [boat_length]
0.30 [boat_alt]
-0.15 [boat_cgy]
0.02 [body_cd]
12000.00 [mass]
2.00 [body_area]
2500.00 [fuel_time]
1400.00 [motor_hp]
100 [rpm_min]
1000 [rpm_max]

-0.84 [camera_x]
12.63 [camera_y]
18.70 [camera_z]

panel_104 [panel_name]
0.70 [panel_scale]
0.70 [panel_x]
11.20 [panel_y]
22.10 [panel_z]
-0.00 [panel_alfa]
0.00 [panel_beta]

1.5 [wave_scale]

1 [has_flaps]

Now you can delete the boat.cfg and rename the file boat.x as vehicle.x if you want.. I also removed the following lines :

0.00 [has_sails]
submarine [type]

Note the scale must be modified as the original one is in feet (left) in VS and as the one modified in meters by VSF (0.3048) is still a bit too big (right) , if you compare with the correct value : the wing span is 29m46 for the Albatross..

The problem for the engines not starting and stopping is because VSF thinks they are underwater and that the vehicle is still an airplane, I think. With the vehicle.cfg above, you must have a normal "boat" with wake.

Note also that the engine's sound doesn't work because it is in Stereo format and VSF needs a Mono format one : you must modify that with Audacity or delete the engine.wav sound (in this case, you'll have the default boat sound).

So now, you must have a "boat" with correct values in the vehicle.cfg in view to generate an elements.cfg file with VSF : Design/Vehicle tabs.. then Elements and Save "Elements".. in the next step, modifying this file will allow your boat to go airborn.

Greetings
Hello

Okay, I'll try it, hope it works

Hey It works! Just like in VS, Many Thanks dude :D

Many Thanks
NoBody

penyelam handal.