Navigation Without GPS

General support questions about VSF, like installasion, settings etc. can be posted here. Check that the question has not already been raised, first.

Navigation Without GPS

Postby Calvin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:58 am

Ahoy Mateys!

Is it possible to circumnavigate on the Vehicle Simulator seas without GPS as in the days of old?

Normally a mariner would depend on a sextant, charts and celestial navigation with a fair bit of ded reckoning thrown in. Since we are without a useful sextant, does anyone know a good workaround?

Thanks in advance.
Calvin

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Re: Navigation Without GPS

Postby Sailorjohn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:12 am

Ahoy, Calvin

I saw your post, and was curious to see if you'd get a reply. The sad fact is that interest in, and support of this forum and VSF has waned through the years. Some of the younger members have shifted to Facebook and other media.

As to your question, many of us have requested that Ilan provide an option of a VSF 'map' without own position, or any other vehicle positions...allowing user to 'navigate' manually...using any combination of coastal pilotage (visual bearings, soundings, visual ranges, radar ranges, etc.), and offshore by ded (that's the correct term for "Deduced Reckoning") reckoning...altho I reckon everyone prefers 'dead reckoning'. Unfortunately, no usable sextant exists ingame. Although one could determine rough elevation angles of celestial bodies ingame, I seriously doubt even sun or moon elevations would be even remotely accurate...and there's no practical way to make sense of the star canopy ingame to identify navigational stars. Ilan felt the work involved to enable celestial is simply not justified by the potential interest level; he's probably right. And yes, as a USCG cadet aboard the 295' training barque EAGLE we all learned celestial navigation, which I regularly practiced aboard successive CG cutters as watch officer, navigator, exec, and in command. And I owned my own sextant. And I had my own boats. We live aboard one now. So I share your wishes for basic pencil and dividers navigation, but you just have to wing it by ignoring all the stuff you don't want to see. I suppose you could use an atlas or actual charts, or make paper copies of the 'map' in relevant VSF sceneries.

Fair winds
Sailorjohn

Postby Calvin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:02 pm

Ahoy!

Thank you for the reply. I think the biggest problem is VSF can't decide if it is a simulator or a game. It eases and promises, but doesn't deliver. I have enjoyed more actual ship simulation sailing an "HMS Bounty" square-rigger on the Microsoft FSX seas. The starfield/Moon/Sun aren't that great, but there is a quasi-automatic aviation bubble sextant which has allowed me to use it to locate islands, ports, harbors, etc. It is slow going, but I never run out of "sailboat fuel.
;)

I don't want to badmouth Ilan, but I will probably not renew any of my licenses if I can't find a workaround or Ilan creates a map option which will blank my position and the lat/lon readouts. I thought about putting tape over the lat/lon and keeping the zoom in close to eliminate situational awareness.

What do you do to make your use more enjoyable?

Calvin
Calvin

Postby Sailorjohn » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:30 am

I just 'live' within the parameters of the program and compromise what's possible for what isn't. When I feel the need to 'make it real', I fire up the 20KW generator, light off the pair of 430HP Cummins 6TAs and bow thruster, cast off, and navigate in the real world...one of the advantages of living on a boat!
Sailorjohn

Postby Calvin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:05 am

Hi Sailorjohn,

I only have an overnighter 19' sloop with a genoa jib on a lake. My wife and I have been considering circumnavigating the oceans, but I really don't want to try without at least a 50-footer. We are aware we could perish in such an endeavor (many have), but life is risk, eh? In the meantime, I am seeking to get an "artificial horizon" of the reflecting pool of quicksilver like Lewis and Clark used or secure an aviation bubble sextant. Either way, CelNav is in my future in a big way.

I have been thinking about what you said about VSF's lack of accurate starfield. I must say, I am disappointed. Do you know if the stars are consistent, if not accurate? If they are at least consistent, then there is the possibility of re-creating a new "CelNav" based on the givens of VSF. In the process, I might find myself "discovering" what the ancient mariners learned, eh? I keep feeling VSF has an untapped potential, but time will tell. We'll see. Is this an experiment you might like to work on with me?

Take care,
Calvin
Calvin

Postby Sailorjohn » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:10 am

I think you need to pose your questions directly to Ilan, especially with regard to starmap and celestial repeatability. While I admire your perseverance in pursing this celestial quest, I'm afraid my time is rather limited. I haven't done much with VSF lately while dealing with other real-world issues.
Sailorjohn

Postby Calvin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:06 am

Hi Sailorjohn,

Thank for the reply and I understand real-world constraints.

I must admit I am at a loss to understand how a relative newbie would have any greater response from Ilan than you and other seasoned users? I guess it won't hurt to try.

Take care,
Calvin
Calvin

Return to VSF Support