What is causing this?

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
Tonyn

What is causing this?

Post by Tonyn »

Hi
Apologies if this has already been covered but it's confusing my simple brain. I've just purchased Virtual Sailor NG but I also have Vehicle Simulator, my confusion comes over the following.

In VSF when I load scenery all is well, however when I load the same scenery in VSNG all is not well and everything seems to be underwater (the two screen shots attached show Gibraltar taken from both sims (it’s not limited to Gibraltar) Please advise what this could be and how I can fix.

There is more confusion if I load Rob Neaths Southampton simply as scenery it is also underwater BUT if I load his included ‘Situation’ then all is fine. Also if I pan or jump south to Gibraltar then all is also fine! What gives.

I have both sims installed on an external SSD which has worked fine for VSF in the past. Is there a way to install the SIM in the usual ‘programs’ folder but keep the library on external SSD?

Any help or hints would be gratefully received

Many Thanks

Tony
VSF Gibraltar.jpg
VSF Gibraltar.jpg (22.72 KiB) Viewed 17459 times
VS Gibraltar.jpg
VS Gibraltar.jpg (29.77 KiB) Viewed 17459 times
Tony
yitianetie

Re: What is causing this?

Post by yitianetie »

Hi,

I advise you to submit that (which could be a bug) directly to Ilan (email : support@hangsim.com). He does not check often the forums but always answer to emails and quickly. I have sent him a lot of remarks recently ;)
Tonyn

Post by Tonyn »

Thanks for the advice, I'll contact Ilan directly

Tony
Tony
CoachTom

Post by CoachTom »

What version of VSN are you using? Some of the earlier versions of VSN had problems with importing scenery, but these bugs have since been resolved. I would suggest being on at least 8.7.0, if not the most recent 8.7.5. If you are on an old release, upgrade and see if this fixes the issue. You may need to delete and re-import VSF and VS (VSOG?) scenery, although this wasn't necessary for me.

Have you checked the water levels in both VSF and VSN, and are they the same? If that is Javier Fernandez' Gibraltar, as far as I recall, it works best with a water level of 0.0. Robert Neath tends to use different water levels for different ports; you'll have to experiment to find the right water level for each. For testing purposes, set up VSN in Gibraltar, go to Change->Water, set Tide Amplitude and Mean Water Level to 0.0 and uncheck Dynamic Tide. If this fixes the issue, you at least have a workaround.
Tonyn

Post by Tonyn »

Hi Coachtom

Thanks for the advice, I'm on v8.7.5.

I've been looking a bit deeper (pardon the pun) and spotted the water level differences, I wasn't aware you could adjust the level in VSF. Anyway I have re-set Gib to 0 as suggested and all looks fine to me now.

I've placed a suppprt call to Ilan just in case but am happier to move forwards now.

The last time I was in Gibraltar I was serving on HMS Fearless, so my current WIP is Fearless, may be a few week yet befor it is presentable.

Thanks for your assistance.
Tony
CoachTom

Post by CoachTom »

Glad I could help, Tony.

While it sounds like the water level issue is resolved, asking Ilan about splitting data and program directories is a good idea. Offhand, I don't think that it can be done in VSN currently (I haven't found anything in the .ini files or anyplace else that points to a data directory), but it would make a nice feature request.

I'm looking forward to seeing Fearless when you're happy enough with her to show her to the public!
Victor

Post by Victor »

Interesting ! I have been having similar problems with ships from VS OG and VSF. Some, when loaded appear half submerged in any scenery and some are on top of the water , I have been increasing the load to get the ship to the correct level. I shall have to look a bit more closely at the water level.

Incidentally, the last time I was in Gib was on board HMS Intrepid. I would be interested in having a look at your HMS Fearless.

Victor
Tonyn

Re: What is causing this- update

Post by Tonyn »

Hi All

During my investigations I have found that my copy of the Situation file "Empty Scene" did have a default water level of 32m (32 [tide_alt]) I reset this to 0.0 and all look well.

Victor

I served on both Interpid (early to mid 70's) and Fearless ( mid 90's) the only significant difference I found after the 20 years was carpets!

It's early days on the model, still on the hull. What looks nice and simple when sat in the bottom of D Lock in Portsmouth yard is not quite so straight forward. I'll post more information in a new thread when I have more to show.
Tony
Victor

Post by Victor »

Thanks for that piece of info. I am limiting my time on VSNG to one hour these days, otherwise, I'd get nothing els done.

@Tony,
I was in mid 80's after her refit upon returning from The Falklands and during post refit trials she managed to get her design speed for the first time !
There are a couple of Tons made by Jason Simpson (ex CCY RAN). I have been using one as my test boat. He made quite a number of different class of ships. I did an on line RAS with him in one of of his tankers and me on a Frigate. his shipyard is worth a look.

Victor
Tonyn

Post by Tonyn »

Hi Victor

I havent tried any on-line sessions yet, a RAS sounds like a good idea, will give it some thought.

Early beginnings below
screenie.jpg
screenie.jpg (22.49 KiB) Viewed 17067 times
Tony