Suggestion: NMEA heading sentence

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
RobSmith

Suggestion: NMEA heading sentence

Post by RobSmith »

Dear Ilan / the developers,
The addition of sending NMEA data to be used with external navigation programs is in my opinion one of the biggest leaps this Great program has made - it simply makes VSNG a true ship navigation simulator, probably the leading software readily available today in this regard.

From what I can see you presently only send the NMEA sentence $GPRMC with contains; position, COG and SOG?
  • If I may suggest, that you also add a sentence that sends heading information, as this would greatly improve vessel operations, especially in docking but also essential in restricted maneuver situations, wind/current etc. Without heading information, it now appears as the ship is heading bow straight into the dock when reversing or going sideways.
I am far from an expert but it looks like an example would be the sentence ”$GPVHW” with includes HDG Heading (but also STW Speed Through Water with I don’t know if the program currently handles).
Of course, the future possibilities are limitless when it comes to transmitting more nav and ship data like ROT Rate of Turn, but also engine parameters. Imagine a future possibility where an external conning screen would come to life!

And as a site note to the users, those of you who also enjoy VSNG and yet have not tried the NMEA-function, may I suggest you do so with for example the free PC software OpenCPN (and buying the charts you require) or use an iPad/device with "iSailor", "SeaPilot" or "iSeaQ". Some are more affordable than others, but provide great feeling of ECDIS-like navigation.
Then it is just a matter of the scenery to be in sync with the actual coordinates of land, bouys and docks, but with the brilliant in-program scenery editor, it’s of course easy to adjust if needed. Going forward I would hope this could spring inspiration for scenery creators to place objects according to real coordinates.

Many thanks for great efforts made with this program,
Best Regards from a long time user/Robert Smith
Northfeeder

Re: Suggestion: NMEA heading sentence

Post by Northfeeder »

Have you updated to the latest version? This should work now! You should get a seperate vector in openCPN now showing the motion indepentent from the ships HDG.

regarding sceneries I work on a few different projects whith correct positions for ports and beacons... works perfect together with openCPN.
RobSmith

Re: Suggestion: NMEA heading sentence

Post by RobSmith »

Hi and thanks for the message, of course I had just missed the release of the latest version.. Simply brilliant.

Nice to hear that you're working on sceneries with realistic navigation, keep it up!

Best Regards Robert Smith