VS NG performance failures

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
rafacdiaz

Re: VS NG performance failures

Post by rafacdiaz »

There is a trick to improve the performance of VS NG. Although I think that the proper solution should be to optimízate the sim, after more than 2 years since the first version of VS NG, I think the devoloper isn’t interested to do it.
There are two handycaps on this sim:

1st. Bad optimization
2nd. Old graphic libreries. (Direct X 9)

So, the only way to improve the performance is to convert the DX9 to Vulkan. It is very easy:

Install vulkan
Link: https://www.lunarg.com/vulkan-sdk/

Download DXVK and unzip where you want. You’ll have there are two folders, one of them for 32 bits machines and other for 64 bits machine. Depending if you are using a 32 or 64 bits sim, you’ll have to copy the files d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll inside of the sim folder.

After that, you can get twice or thee times the FPS avarage. With some scenaries that the avarage was very poor (Barcelona Port), before I got 20 FPS and now I get up to 90 FPS.

In my opinion, devoloper should migrate from DX9 to Vulkan. The result is very important.
Blue Star Line

Post by Blue Star Line »

Which file do I download on the Vulkan site and where do I extract them too? Do I need to run anything?
Blue Star Line on Youtube. Over 100,000 Subscribers, making videos with Virtual Sailor & Vehicle Simulator
Blue710

Post by Blue710 »

Blue Star Line wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:21 am Which file do I download on the Vulkan site and where do I extract them too? Do I need to run anything?
I think you need to download the DXVK aswell...

A video Is worth a thousand words :mrgreen:

Just follow till the part that says to add the d3d9.dll.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCVES4bx_O8

You can do this also with dgVoodoo, which basically does the same thing (add a d3d9.dll) and lets you tweak some other options from the dgVoodoo app. That Is without using the Vulkan tool.

Or wait till Rafa gest back to you.

Cheers
Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram, AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2), Samsung G6, Logitech G13, G502, TM Warthog HOTAS, Simagic Alpha Mini and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit.
Blue Star Line

Post by Blue Star Line »

Still confused. Put the D3d9 dll into the VSNG folder and still am not noticing any difference. What am I missing?
Blue Star Line on Youtube. Over 100,000 Subscribers, making videos with Virtual Sailor & Vehicle Simulator
Blue710

Post by Blue710 »

Blue Star Line wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:21 pm Still confused. Put the D3d9 dll into the VSNG folder and still am not noticing any difference. What am I missing?
Just some suggestions...

- Purge you´re PC. In other words do a restar, each time you do a restart It clears you´re cache.
- Consider using NVCleanstall,It gets rid of all the bloat wear that Nvidia Installs with It´s drivers. Plenty of videos that show you how to Install It properly.

Something bogging down you´re PC, as I have VS NG Installed on my old PC which Is a i5 3470k (8GB ram) with a GTX1060 (6GB VRAM) and I am getting 40-60 fps on a HDD, and that´s with no d3d9 or anything like that (vanilla). Or you´re In game settings are wrong.

Cheers
Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram, AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2), Samsung G6, Logitech G13, G502, TM Warthog HOTAS, Simagic Alpha Mini and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit.
MokMok

Post by MokMok »

While naval war games like World of Warships and War Thunder perform much better than VS NG does. What makes these two naval war games performing much better than VS NG?
Blue710

Post by Blue710 »

MokMok wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:05 am While naval war games like World of Warships and War Thunder perform much better than VS NG does. What makes these two naval war games performing much better than VS NG?
I really doubt that either of them have the physics that VSNG does. The physics for the most part Is what stresses a CPU, add to It that It has to render the whole world, and maybe (If you have It set on) live weather too, or whatever weather presets you have it set to.

As you said, they are "wargames" and not simulators although they have some ballistics modeled, hit boxes etc. they are not a full blown simulator. I would add that they are not even a wargame. Wargames are tabletop hex (or not) based games that have existed since the 17th century. So even the definition In these games is overestimated and liberal. Due to the fact that the developers company Is called Wargaming.

Wargames:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wargame

One of my channels:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXohrv ... 4YgRJztQqA

Also that I have been playing simulators for the past 20 years.

Cheers
Blue Star Line

Post by Blue Star Line »

Do me a favour and load into VSNG with Kyle Hudak's Titanic and tell me what your FPS are
Blue710

Post by Blue710 »

Blue Star Line wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:03 am Do me a favour and load into VSNG with Kyle Hudak's Titanic and tell me what your FPS are
Are you having Issues just with this model?
RobNeath

Post by RobNeath »

Can 100% confirm the Vulkan/DXVK works - I use to get around 20fps with Icon of the Seas in port, it's now over 100fps and this is a 3 million polygon model!

(full size) - https://ibb.co/Nsbb2G0

This alone can help make VSNG the perfect Ship Sim as it removes the performance issues.
VSF/VSNG Ship and Scenery Creator
Downloads can be found via: https://robsvsfaddons.weebly.com/

From the Caribbean to Norway, to small UK ferries to the largest cruise liners in the world.
Blue710

Post by Blue710 »

RobNeath wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:59 pm Can 100% confirm the Vulkan/DXVK works - I use to get around 20fps with Icon of the Seas in port, it's now over 100fps and this is a 3 million polygon model!
This alone can help make VSNG the perfect Ship Sim as it removes the performance issues.
Nice, but how do you Install It? Do you Install the Vulkan (.exe) from the link above, and then add a DXVK d3d9.dll?

The Installation process would be of help...

Thanks
RobNeath

Post by RobNeath »

I followed the video link you posted? The same one that fixes GTA IV.

Download Vulkan SDK and install, then download and add ALL the files in the x64 folder from DXVK 2.3 to the Virtual Sailor NG - that's all that's needed :)

As long as your GPU supports Vulkan it should work for you.

FPS will drop when moving (dragging a ship on the pop up map) this is a bit annoying as it makes the game feel jumpy but a restart of the game fixes this.

From the Caribbean to Norway, to small UK ferries to the largest cruise liners in the world.
Blue Star Line

Post by Blue Star Line »

That is great it worked for you, Robert! When installing the SDK, did you install any of the addons in the installer?
RobNeath

Post by RobNeath »

Blue Star Line wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:23 pm That is great it worked for you, Robert! When installing the SDK, did you install any of the addons in the installer?
Yeah I installed them all, just incase they are ever needed in the future.

Blue710

Post by Blue710 »

RobNeath wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:10 pm I followed the video link you posted? The same one that fixes GTA IV.
yes, I posted It, but theirs no Installation of the Vulkan SDK In that video. Anyway, thanks for you´re guidance and will Install as you suggested.

Again, thank you for you´re help. I am sure It will help others too!

Cheers
Last edited by Blue710 on Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobNeath

Post by RobNeath »

Yeah that's fair enough, It's worth noting I DIDN'T install Vulkan into the VSNG folder, I just places it somewhere else on my system, so it doesn't need to be in the same location.

Blue710

Post by Blue710 »

Well nothing exploded so far :mrgreen:

Seriously...

My last session was with a cruiser ship (for testing) and I was getting very low results (11fps), With the Vulkan fix, that bumped up to 17fps. I had the water configuration (graphics) to retract + reflect, so I set that to shaded and the fps bumped to 35fps outside. Which Is quite ok, at least for me.

I see theirs a Vulkan configurator Included, any thoughts on that?
Blue Star Line

Post by Blue Star Line »

Do I need to launch something before launching VSNG? Still did not notice a difference
Blue710

Post by Blue710 »

RobNeath wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:48 pm Yeah that's fair enough, It's worth noting I DIDN'T install Vulkan into the VSNG folder, I just places it somewhere else on my system, so it doesn't need to be in the same location.
He does mention the Installation of Vulkan but that´s about It, maybe he shows that In the previous video he mentions. I didn´t watch that so I don´t know.

No, I Installed Vulkan In the default path so same here.

Ok, I did notice something here. The cruiser that I did my testing with is NOT well optimized at all. I wont mention which because I don´t want to downgrade his effort.

What I did was download you´re P&O pack and replaced that cruiser with you´re Iona, and WOW, what a difference! Aside from a excellent model, congrats Sir, I was also getting +100fps!
So, my conclusion Is that depending on who and how the modeling was done, you´re mileage will vary with regards to fps.

Rob I am now you´re fan :D Great job Sir, will be downloading more stuff. Thank you!

Cheers
Blue710

Post by Blue710 »

Is the 4gb patch still needed for VSNG? I am using It on a couple of older games, but not sure about a newer game like VSNG.

Thanks
RobNeath

Post by RobNeath »

After installing Vulkan you then need to download DXVK from here:https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases You need to download : dxvk-2.3.tar.gz

Extract the files then move the ones from the x64 folder (as VSNG is a 64bit program) to the main Virtual Sailor NG folder replacing the existing ones.

This should then boost your Fps - I've had to turn on vsync to keep my FPS at 60fps and without it they are now going well into 200+ in open seas which causes my Graphics Card to heat up as it's been given unlimited power in VSNG.

That's all I did, the config file does help but is not needed.

Blue710

Post by Blue710 »

RobNeath wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:49 pm I've had to turn on vsync to keep my FPS at 60fps and without it they are now going well into 200+ in open seas which causes my Graphics Card to heat up as it's been given unlimited power in VSNG.
Thanks for the tip Robert, will keep that In mind.

Cheers